Do I need consent to travel abroad with my minor child?

Traveling with Minor Children

There are a lot of different (and interesting) issues and questions that come up when practicing law in the family sector. Just recently, however, I was faced with what I believe is a basic question I had yet to encounter: are unmarried parents required to obtain consent from the other parent when traveling out of the country with the minor children?

I have heard this question before from unmarried parents that have yet to establish paternity–which in that case a consent form would be required. But when it comes to a couple who were previously married and have a parenting plan with a timesharing schedule already established, is a consent form still required?

After contacting TSA, Miami International Airport, and other resources, I was given the answer: a consent form will not be required if:

  1. The parents have already established paternity and consent has been given through a previous document signed by the non-traveling parent; OR
  2. The parents have a parenting plan with a timesharing agreement that has been approved by the court and said the plan allows the parent to travel with the minor child without consent from the other parent.

It must be noted, however, that a parenting plan may include a provision that requires consent from the non-traveling parent before the other can travel with the child to another country. Some plans may include language to the effect that the traveling parent must notify the non-traveling parent of his/her intent to travel with the minor children within a specific number of days, and submit to the non-travel parent an itinerary of all the information of the travel. This information may include the names of the people traveling/staying with the minor children, the hotel and travel information, phone numbers, and so on.


Family law issues are tough as it is, but when children are involved, it may be a little tougher. Courts in Florida, as well as in almost every other State, have a standard when children are involved in the case: every decision must be “in the best interest of the minor child(ren).

The legal process can get difficult, which is why we always recommend that you seek the assistance of counsel; or at least have a consultation. Schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys today to review the issues of your case, the legal options you may have, and certain rights that pertain to your unique situation.

Have more questions? Let us know by sending an email to: and we will do our best to develop content to provide you with direction and insight!

For more information:
Check out and subscribe to our YouTube Channel
Follow us on Instagram
Like us on Facebook
Visit our website
Shop our Legal Templates

No Attorney-Client Relationship or Legal Advice: Communication of information by, in, to or through this Website and your receipt or use of it: (1) is not provided in the course of and does not create or constitute an attorney-client relationship; (2) is not intended as a solicitation; (3) is not intended to convey or constitute legal advice; and (4) is not a substitute for obtaining legal advice from a qualified attorney. You should not act upon any such information without first seeking qualified professional counsel on you specific matter. The hiring of an attorney is an important decision that should not be based solely upon Web site communications or advertisements. Feel free to contact us if you need legal assistance.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *