What to expect after filing for divorce

Whether you initiated a divorce action and properly served your spouse or you have been served with divorce papers yourself, the next step is the Answer.

The State of Florida requires an Answer to a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage to be filed within twenty (20) days after service.

What should the Answer include?

An answer to a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage should admit or deny all the allegations contained in the Petition. An Answer can also include a Counterclaim. Counterclaims are filed when the responding party seeks relief from the Court for something not contained in the Petition.

When is a Petition Uncontested?

A Petition is uncontested when you or your agreement to all the terms of the divorce. For example, an uncontested divorce would be one that the parties agree to how they will divide the marital assets and liabilities. If this is the case, either party may contact the clerk, family law intake staff, or judicial assistant to set a final hearing to finalize the divorce.

When is a Petition Contested?

A Petition is contested if the parties cannot agree to all of the terms. The Court will most likely send the parties to mediation to attempt to work out the issues. If the disputed issues are not resolved in mediation, then either party can request a trial. Some Courts require the completion of mediation before a final hearing may be set.

What are the Consequences if an Answer is not filed?

Failing to respond to the Petition within 20 days after service puts you at risk of default. An entry of default precludes a party from contesting the petitioner’s claim or allegations. Depending on the circumstances, a party may request the Court to set aside the default. Nevertheless, default is something you want to avoid.

My spouse did not respond to the Petition. What can I do?

If after 20 days, your spouse has not filed an answer, you may file a Motion for Default. Then, if you have filed all of the required papers, you may contact the clerk, family law intake staff, or judicial assistant to set a final hearing. You must notify your spouse of the hearing.


The legal process can get difficult, which is why we always recommend that you seek the assistance of counsel; or at least have a consultation. Schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys today to review the issues of your case, the legal options you may have, and certain rights that pertain to your unique situation.

Have more questions? Let us know by sending an email to: questions@legallotus.legal and we will do our best to develop content to provide you with direction and insight!

For more information:
Check out and subscribe to our YouTube Channel
Follow us on Instagram
Like us on Facebook
Visit our website
Shop our Legal Templates

No Attorney-Client Relationship or Legal Advice: Communication of information by, in, to or through this Website and your receipt or use of it: (1) is not provided in the course of and does not create or constitute an attorney-client relationship; (2) is not intended as a solicitation; (3) is not intended to convey or constitute legal advice; and (4) is not a substitute for obtaining legal advice from a qualified attorney. You should not act upon any such information without first seeking qualified professional counsel on you specific matter. The hiring of an attorney is an important decision that should not be based solely upon Web site communications or advertisements. Feel free to contact us if you need legal assistance.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Discover more from Legal Lotus

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue Reading